Monday, February 12, 2007

Urban Tree Planting

I've wondered about urban tree planting for a while and this chapter worked to fill that gap of knowledge. I find intriguing the many considerations that have to be taken - water, nutrients, soil type - for optimal tree growth. I once wrote a report on fertility in tropical soils and so was excited to see that urban trees, trees all over the world and in different environments, have similar requirements. But it was even more interesting to see how the circumstances are different, that sidewalks can cause root damage and dehydration. I also liked how the chapter discussed the importance of picking the right tree for the area. Some trees are more pollution and drought resistant, and I've heard that is why one sees large numbers of the same sort of trees in downtowns.

The article on Gardening's Socioeconomic Impacts solidified the benefits of urban green that we have already discussed in class. I especially found it nice to see that diet improvement is a legitamite benefit. I've heard that vegetables are expensive and hard to come by in New York City, but it's nice to see that gardening offers a viable option for a healthier diet.

No comments: