Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Benefits of Nature

Urban Nature Benefits

Once again I was struck by the extent to which trees, plants, flowers or just greenery improve our environment and affect the way we function and feel. Out of the entire article, one word really captivated me and that word was "restorative." This little word encapsulates so much concerning the relationship between nature and people.

I liked how the article provided examples of how nature improved the lives of people. For example, workers who had a view of nature from their work space had less illnesses compared to those who did not have a view. People with trees in their homes experienced reduced domestic conflict and less physcial abuse. I really liked the part about how schools with tended landscapes contributed to reduced feelings of fear and violence. I can attest to this.

Landscape and Human Health Laboratory

I found this laboratory site fascinating and also it's recent findings. Things such as:
Green activity reducing ADHD symptons ( I did not know this).
Views of trees from homes improve girls self-discipline, what about boys self-discipline, lol.
Trees boost concentration and the ability to cope ( duh)
The right residential landscaping can discourage crime. This one really surprised me and I started thinking what kind of landscape would attract a criminal? Would it be an unkempt landscape or would it be something that people took time and spent money beautifying? What does this say about people who take pride in their surroundings and enhancing it versus those who allow the landscape in which they live to be overgrown and obviously neglected?
Green residential landscaping strengthens communities. I liked this one also because it reminded me of the gardens article that we read last week.

Social Science Research Project

I liked this article especially since they told us upfront that there is no empirical data to support a lot of the findings regarding the perceived changes in young people after they have participated in nature-based programs. What I took away from this article was that young people benefit form nature-based work experiences and this got me very excited for our springbreak of service. Like the article I do believe that nature work programs are essential. The article talks about a pilot study that will be undertaken and seeks to address some very relevant questions. It is important to look at things like the impact of nature based programs on lifestyle and career choices of youths and also the ecological literacy aspect of things. I anticipate reading more about their findings.

No comments: