Monday, February 5, 2007

NYC = FUN

I got some ideas about places to visit in NYC:
Museums, statue of liberty, times square ( i know i am so original aren't i?)
and this i just heard about today, the Essex Street Market, its somewhere by wall street. Did someone already mention street markets? I heard about this one through Ken Reardon, a Prof in AAP who worked to keep Trump out and protect the market and the neighborhood's residents jobs there. Any one interested?

some thoughts on the readings:

Nature and the City seems like a really interesting book because of its focus on the value of city gardens despite corporate interests to develop these places. I was also drawn to the environmental justice and environmental racism that the introduction promises to discuss.

City Bountiful was interesting, but less gripping than Nature and the City. I found the readings a tad repetitive, but informative nonetheless. The idea of putting idle hands to work seemed like a good one. In Cleveland, my home city, there are a lot of brownfields and unemployed people. I kept thinking about the possibilities for city gardens would be in my city. I was also concerned about the classification of "organic" for the produce from city gardens. Though these plants aren't sprayed with chemicals per se, they are grown in a polluted city environment and I am concerned about how the toxins found in most cities could effect the nutritional value of the plants. I was also intrigued by the idea of hiring children to work in the gardens, and how it gave them pride and leadership skills while keeping them out of trouble.

No comments: