Friday, February 16, 2007

Readings for 2/20/07

Trees as Capital Assets
This article was very policy and business oriented. While I had never thought of the economic benefits of trees for urban environments, I find it disheartening that the value of trees must be calculated to allow for governments and officials to support their utilization. The article suggests that the beneficials services provided by trees could be taxable qualities. The benefits provided such as cooling clean air, flood control, and carbon sequestration could be assesed and added to a budget to support green infrastructure. I realize that it is important to account for these positive services because otherwise, the government would not support the use of trees in cities as much. The article says that government agencies, departments, and elected officials would support urban forestry budgets because the GASB 34 would show that they are beneficial and maintain the currect condition of infrastructure; however, what is the aethetic value of the tree? How can a price tag be put on beauty and comfort and happiness?
Benefits of Urban Trees
I thought this flyer was more sensitive to the aethetic and natural view of trees, but was also trying to convince people of economic reasons why they should support trees in urban environments. It talked of beauty, color, cover, and privacy that trees provide as well as other aspects that I had not considered. For example, I was interested to learn that trees can lower the temperature, lessen the force of storms, and reduce the heat-island effect in trees. I liked how it supported useful urban landscaping by suggesting the deliberate placement of certain kinds of trees on specific sides of the house to reduce energy usage. The flyer did a good job of increasing my interest in the subject and showing me that trees have many more uses and benefits than I thought.

No comments: