Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Alt Break Reflection

I joined this class to learn something new, and I have not been disappointed! From urban wild life in Central Park, Community gardens, to environmental injustices in Harlem, so much of what I experienced over Spring Break was new to me. It never occurred to me that there would be so many species of birds in a city, that the trees lining the streets of Manhattan have to go through such a struggle to survive, that the community garden movement did so much for the people, or that such blatant wrongdoings were being perpetrated against the citizens of Harlem. Not only have I discovered things that I did not know but I also have been inspired to ask myself a different set of questions.

The portion of the break that I found myself reflecting on the most was the time we spent with the organization WE ACT. The information that they gave us left me wondering what sorts of environmental injustices were going on in my own neighborhood and if any organizations were attempting to correct them. At home, we have days when the news actually gives smog reports warning people with asthma problems to take caution. I am starting to wonder if anything can be done about this at a community level. Maybe we can do more than just carpool.

No comments: