Tuesday, April 10, 2007

This is such an entertaining book! It has a lot of very interesting articles. I could spend the whole weekend reading it over and over again. If I only had that type of weekend in which time was not a constraint!! The part that attracted me the most was the section about The World in the Garden, but more specifically, I read the article titled Celebrating Cultural Diversity. In this article, I though that community gardens not only represent community, but also diversity. “Almost everyone comes from somewhere else.” The case is that many people move from rural places into town. I thought it was very interesting how Schimberg, the author of this article, pointed out that farming is many peoples way of life in rural environments. But by coming to the city, they keep a connection between the past and the future through community gardens.
For the Managing section, I read the “poem” titled Planning Ahead. I though that it was very interesting how education changes the way people see nature. One may sow a seed, plant a tree, but what makes the difference, or if one wants to plan way ahead, education is the best option and investment.
For the transformation part, I read the article titled Transforming angel. It is very inspiring how one initiative can motivate and encourage others to do and repeat a same positive action. Overall, this book is a gem. It provides a lot of stores about community greening in a very entertaining way, since many of the articles happened in real life.

No comments: