Tuesday, April 10, 2007

I found an article in the Community Greening Review book that I really liked called "New York City's Green Oasis Gets a Holywood Makeover". I like this article because it show how people can accomplish things when they stand up for what they believe in. The articl describes a garden on 8th street between Ave B and Ave C. Steven Speilberg wanted to do a movie on the street but did not like the fact that there was a garden, it ruined the setting. He wanted to destroy the garden for the movie, but the community opposed its destruction. They compromised by letting the film crew cover up the garden, causing minimal damage, and in return the garden was compensated greatly. They were able to get liability insuance, to build a new gazebo, and funding for a party in the garden to spread the word about the community gardening cause.

On another note, I could not find the Tanaka and Krasny Article. Once I figure out where it is, I will post about it. I am sure it is right infront of my nose, so...yeah.

No comments: