Saturday, January 27, 2007

reflections on assignment 1

I'm not totally sure if the format for this blog is what was assigned, but the following are my reflections about the different articles:

Red Tail Hawk Blog

I was impressed with the organization of people who were upset about Pale Male’s nest being moved. Generally, when I think that with things of that nature, I’d assume that people would simply grumble about the inconsiderate nature of the administration’s decisions and go on with their own daily lives. I was shocked that an architect was hired to construct a nest for the hawks and I wondered if these birds would accept something humans designed for them. I would be interested to know if the birds have returned to the nest

Community Garden

This garden idea seems like a really good use of the land, but I would not like to be a part of such a violently protected gardening community. Tessa angers me as much as she angers her fellow gardeners. Something that comes up here is what role does the state administration play? Where are the lines that divide each individual’s private plot and the oversight of the government? Have the police come to the garden before Tessa arrived?

Gorilla Gardeners

If no one disrupts the gorilla gardeners, why do they not work during the day? I like the seed bombing idea.

Defiant gardens

Tending a garden seems like the most natural response when put in a situation beyond your own control, especially if your food is rationed to you. Gardening in the ghettos and internment camps made the most sense to me because these people were able to find joy by creating something beautiful and having control over your own interaction with the natural environment. Being able to provide for your family is something that must have been very important during these times of internment. Growing gardens while in combat seems slightly less natural of a decision. Though, as our wars are evolving so that soldiers are stationed for longer and longer, it begins to make sense that a soldier would want to invest himself/herself in the land he/she must see everyday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, I am one of the people who protested. Its interesting to note that sometimes one doesnt realize how important something is to them until an event like this occurs. It upset me personally as I would often visit the nest and I felt that the callous act was extremely selfish (if not illegal) of the building to do. Pale Male belongs to everyone in NYC. I felt I had to protest, the first time in my life I participated in one!

Also, yes, Pale Male and Lola immediately returned to their nest on 5th ave, however they have been unsuccessful in raising chicks since this event. We are hopeful that this spring will reverse the trend. No one is certain of the reasons and if the architects structure is contributing to the problem.

Sharon/NYC

Keith G. Tidball, Ph.D. said...

Thank you Sharon in NYC for your thoughtful comment!